Fast Facts - River School
• River School is an independent, coeducational nursery through preschool school serving children ages 2 months – 6 years.
• Founded: 1989.
• School Year: Year round.
• School Hours:
Monday – Friday
River School - westside:
7:30am – 7:00pm
River School - newport:
7:30am – 6:30pm
River School - exchange place:
7:30am – 6:30pm
• Children: There is a fairly even split of boys and girls. The children and families may be conversant in a single language, be bilingual or trilingual.
• Families: Current River School families represent over 15 different countries. Families are diverse in makeup, including single-head of home families and same-sex families.
• Staff/Child Ratio: Infants - 1:4, Toddlers 1:5, Preschoolers 1:6+
• Facilities: Each school occupies more than 7,000-square-feet of space on the ground floor. All locations feature light-filled classrooms with large windows and easy access to nearby playgrounds. Creative design integrates library, dramatic play, and block areas within comfortable classrooms.
• Summer Programming: During the months of July and August, the summer programming for preschoolers includes field trips, swimming, sports, and special projects involving science, nature, art and dramatic play.
• Separation: The separation process is individualized to suit the needs of each child. It can range from just a few days up to two weeks. Parents are encouraged to stay until the child feels at ease with the environment, and the teachers and parents agree it is the right time to separate.
• Parent Involvement: Parents are invited to participate in all aspects of River School life including chaperoning class trips, reading stories to the children, and helping with special projects. Parent workshops with guest speakers are offered throughout the year.
• Graduates: Each year children continue their education in independent schools, parochial, public schools, and various Gifted and Talented Programs.
• Licensing: River School - westside is licensed by the New York City Department of Health.
Newport and Exchange Place are licensed by the State of New Jersey Department of Children and Families.